Sunday, May 27, 2007

Chuckles




Sometime after putting Omar to bed, I hear him approaching from behind; his footsteps rhythmic and purposeful. As I turn to see his contorted face drenched in tears he blurts out:

Mawm, I don't want to let Chuckles go!!!!!

Me:
Awww (wrapping my arms around him)....I know, you love him so much...shh-shh, there-there....shhhhhh..

I carry him back upstairs, tuck him in, bring water, tell him all the things parents tell their children that makes everything perfectly ok once again.

Omar: I would give away my playstation to have him back!!!

Now, my friend, THAT is serious love.

Who is Chuckles?

He is Omar's Millworm that he raised in school beginning at larva, then pupa... They were ready to release them whether or not the full transformation to beetle had occurred. Omar explained to (see: begged) me how delicate this stage was and so we decided it was best to have Chuckles come home with us. As soon as Omar got home from Cubs Camp he went straight to check on Chuckles and brought him to me right away to show me the "gross" pupa shedding and how Chuckles had become this beautiful beetle. "I have to set him free now mom"... So out he went into my flowerpot.

Everyone, please welcome Chuckles and a boy's love of a beetle:



4 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

Ah! It's just a bug... I was worried it was going to be a photo of a clown, and was starting to get really worried...

Monday, 28 May, 2007  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Well, he has learnt the joys and pain of parenthood. He should be proud that he raised a healthy beetle.

Monday, 28 May, 2007  
Blogger crse said...

Poor Omar. They just grow up way too damn fast. Did Omar win an award for most creative beetle name? He should have!

Wednesday, 30 May, 2007  
Blogger nancycle said...

dave2 - Omar thinks clowns are "kinda weird". No worries :)

LGS - We're on the same page - that's exactly that angle I took with him.

crse - he named it after a butterfly they had at the daycare. :)

Thursday, 31 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home