Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bus Passes and Poop

Darlene (41) and Denis (64) are special needs. We "adopted" Darlene into our family when I was in high school. She's a fiery spitball I tell ya. Very high functional, takes exceptional care of herself (has better oral hygiene than the average Joe) and of Denis, who requires more assistance. They live together in a cute little apartment close to the beach. Their funds are extremely limited; they both have jobs and the great sense of humor to boot. Darlene will call my house and leave messageS. Plural. If she wants to speak to my mom, or me she's relentless. Tonight the issue was bus passes and "poops". Apparently Denis' counselor showed up at his work and Denis had to leave without being able to clarify his counselor's instructions regarding his bus pass. In addition to that, Denise has to get this Raison Brand cereal, because he's a little backed up. The last time I paid them a visit it was to set up Denis' new Ghetto blaster in his bedroom. I checked on the hamster and gave Darlene a really nice Crest Oral B rotary toothbrush. I'm thinking with her hands getting shakier, I'll need to visit more often, so, today I will make a point of marking my calendar for some regular visits - I know how much they'd love a spaghetti supper (and stocking of their freezer). Omar will happily play on Darlene's play station, the last time we were there Denis taught Omar to play "Trouble".

Some people could care less to help out people society might prefer not to see at all. For me, it makes me feel really good. I don't get paid, I don't get acknowledged but I get to feel great and care for people I love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

You are all Hearts!
Great thing that you are doing and wonderful that you involve Omar. He's growing up learning how to be a caring person like his mom.

I used to visit shut-ins when I was much younger and when I was in Ottawa, I volunteered at the Rehab Centre at Smyth. god bless.

Friday, 01 June, 2007  
Blogger nancycle said...

LGS - Thanks buddy. That's wicked cool that you did that. I see you're all heart yourself :).

Darlene was happy to see us. Gave her and Dennis money till they get more ($10 each every Tuesday and Thursday, plus $12 each a week for laundry). I brought some fruit and my hand blender, make Dennis some frozen fruit smoothies and hide some Tim Horton gift certificates in the fridge with a note from Omar and I....It's the right time to do for others.

Saturday, 02 June, 2007  
Blogger crse said...

Aw thats so sweet! Im guessing that Darlene and Denis give you both a lot back too. Helping other people can be the most rewarding thing in the world!

Sunday, 03 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home